Monday 5 August 2013

My attempt at an easy dinner to use up leftover white wine

Weekday dinners can sometimes be a dilemma.  I need to make something easy, healthy, tasty, toddler friendly and quick.  I also wanted to use up some left over white wine that was now past the point of drinking.  I had some fresh haddock fillets, so I thought I would try making up a cream-free and butter-free garlic and white wine sauce....a small experiment.  I think it turned out quite nice....everyone ate it anyway :)

This is more of a "work in progress" recipe:

Ingredients:


2 large Haddock fillets
1 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of dried dill (will try fresh dill next time)
1 cup of white wine (this was a nice Greek wine)
1/2 cup of water
2 teaspoons of gluten-free flour (can use regular flour too)
Rapeseed oil
Salt, to taste
Black pepper--freshly ground, to taste

Heat the oil in an oven-proof dish and sweat the onions until they are soft.  Turn the heat down to medium.  At the same time, heat the oven to about 170 degrees C.  Add the garlic and saute till fragrant.  Add the flour and stir till it coats the onions and garlic. Then add the wine and let it simmer.  Add the dill and continue to let it simmer.  Add enough water to make a thick sauce.  Add the salt and pepper according to taste.  Place the fish in the sauce so that they are completely covered and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until they are cooked.  I served this with steamed carrots, stir-fried pak-choy and baby new potatoes.

Unfortunately, there are no photos. I will definitely try this again using fresh dill, which always works well with fish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment